Monday, September 16, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook

When I go to the movies I usually see those "blow up" action films that you just can't replicate at home.  I do not go to romantic movies to see a four foot version of Jennifer Lawrence's butt, although I can see the appeal.  I haven't seen the movie, but reading a book after the movie has come out, well, you can't help but picture the actors as the main characters. Not that I'm complaining about visualizing Bradley Cooper.  No, not complaining. 

Themes of this book include mental illness and football.  Frankly, its hard to tell the difference between an Eagle's fan and the mentally ill.  I had a friend that dated an Eagle's fan, and I get the impression that the book is not an exaggeration, that Eagle's fans are like football jihadists.  I suspect they are like Firefly fans but more likely to beat the crap out of you.  No thanks.

The book is written in the style of a diary by the protagonist who just spent several years in the mental hospital.  Maybe the illness or drugs addled his brain but he is kind of a simpleton.  It makes him likable and it certainly makes it easy to read but you can't help but wonder, dude, you'll never reintegrate yourself back into the workforce.  Well, maybe he can work at Foot Locker.

Overall, not a bad little book, not amazing, certainly not a struggle to read.  Pat, our protagonist is so likable and relatable you will think you are mentally ill too. But then again, I already knew that. 

Drinks:  Pat is not supposed to drink while he's on his medications but he drinks when he's watching football anyway. They drink Yuengling, as its set in Philly and Southern NJ, so that makes sense.  Feel free to drink your own local beer.  I like Madtree, not for just use as a joke, its actually quite good, crazy good. 

4 comments:

  1. Madtree = too 'hoppy' for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the movie. Unfortunately, no real good shots of Jennifer Lawrence's butt.
    I enjoyed parts of the movie, though after watching the Oscars last year, they made it look like it forever changed film. Highly overrated. I found watching the crazy father played by De niro to be very hard to watch. The acting was good, the story was interesting, but it had a very 'after school special' feel to it. Laura liked it less than I did.
    Now, for some reason I feel the need to do online searches for good pictures of Jennifer Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this movie and it is not nearly as good as the book. Not even close. "Pat" is much more likable in the book. Usually the books are better and in this case definitely.

    ReplyDelete