Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Power of Habit

Want a book that dovetails Willpower? A book that is more empowering but puts so...much...pressure on perfectionists like me? Well then, read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Do you have a bad habit?  Well you can overwrite the bad one for a good habit like a old school computer program. At least that is how I think computer programs used to be written.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, your brain knows what to do. If you change a keystone habit then all kinds of awesome stuff will come with it.  I think it's like getting free lotion with your shampoo purchase.

According to the book, once you make something a habit then your brain is free to think about all kinds of cool stuff like dragons, snacks and fun tops.  I mean, once you really learn how to drive do you really have to think about it? Heck no, just merge away with impunity. Meanwhile you are thinking about 1) that kick-ass bassline and how sweet it would be to see them in concert or 2) solar collectors in India (you are listening to NPR). 

Somewhere between science and self-help, go ahead and read this because it's not long and it's not written for scholars or the sophisticated.  You could read it on the toilet if that is your habit.  I just happen to think your habit is gross, but hey, it's your habit….lil' nasty. Also, there is stuff about  organizational habits but who cares about that--ITS ALL ABOUT ME (or you).

The irony is not lost on me that I have been working out a lot and cooking and eating healthy which is totally getting in the way of my reading and drinking.  Also, I made a challenge to myself to drink only a few drinks (less than 8) over the next 2 months.  So, I was pretty psyched when I found out that "soft cocktails" are super hot. Whew, I'm still cool. Here is a drink from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Everyday cookbook called Sparkling Spanakam (It's Indian--solar collectors not included):  1/4 natural sugar, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 ground cardamon, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1 liter of sparkling water.  Make a paste with the non-water ingredients then slowly add the water to your pitcher.  Serve with lots of ice.  I made this for book club and it was nice.  I drank 90% of it.  Of course, it is all about me.          

No comments:

Post a Comment